Foreign Use

Motohome Insurance Foreign Use Limits

Campton now compare a number of different insurance Policies with varying foreign use requirements – our standard policy provides annual EU cover but please refer to your quotation letter for clarification.

Note - The trip must be of a temporary nature and you must be resident in the UK.

Countries automatically covered;

  • Any country which is a member of the European Union
  • Any Country which the Commission of the European Community approves as meeting the requirements of Article 7 (2) of the Eiropean Community Directive on Insurance of Civil Liabilities arising from the use of motor vehicles (no72/166/CEE)

European Union countries as of January 2007;

Austria Belgium, Bulgaria,Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Republic of Ireland, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain and Sweden.

Other countries;

Croatia, Iceland, Norway and Switzerland.

Green Cards

The Green Card system is to make it easier for vehicles to move freely over borders and to protect the interests of the victims of foreign registered vehicles. It is overseen by the Economic Commission for Europe based in Geneva

A Green Card is not required by law to cross borders within the European Union and some other countries. This is because every EU country and certain other countries, complies with the first directive on motor insurance which says that every insurance policy issued in the EU must provide the minimum insurance cover required by law in any other EU country.

The countries that do need a Green card are:

Albania, Belarus, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia (FYROM), Islamic Republic of Iran, Israel, Moldova, Montenegro, Morocco, Serbia, Tunisia, Turkey, Ukraine.

Where to get a Green Card

Insurers are not obliged to issue a Green Card. The Campton Motor Caravan insurers may issue a Green Card depending on the country to be visited and length of stay, so please contact Campton with details of your trip well in advance.

If they will not, you may be able to obtain "border insurance" at the point of entry into the country. The Green Card document itself is only proof that the minimum third party liability cover required by law in the visited country is in force. Within the countries where frontier inspection is no longer required, the Green Card is still the insurance document most readily recognized and understood by national police forces. As you may need to produce evidence of insurance other than at a border ie after an accident, you may consider it advisable to carry a Green Card to avoid any inconvenience.

Campton Insurance Brokers (UK) Limited

126 High Street
Surrey RH9 8DX
Insurance Brokers
Tel: 01883 742460
Fax: 01883 744109